Sunday, May 30, 2010

The Blue Sword/Robin McKinley

The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley; young adult, fantasy; 320 pages (about 11 1/2 hours, listening)

After reading so much Tamora Pierce, I really wanted to revisit McKinley, and I hadn't read this book in over ten years. The audiobook version of this was good, but it had clearly been transeferred from a low-quality cassette recording. I was very surprised that Recorded Books hadn't cleaned it up a bit in post-production, but I suppose there's only so much that can be done. I love McKinley's writing style, and this book is great example of her work. The setting is wonderfully vivid, and the characters are great. As with most McKinley, there is a romance, but you'll miss it if you're not paying attention. Wonderful read

No comments:

Post a Comment