Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Dead Travel Fast/Deanna Raybourn

The Dead Travel Fast by Deanna Raybourn; mystery, romance, horror; 400 pages

I haven't read a mystery in ages, and I loved this, even if I did pick it up for the gothic horror elements, rather than the whodunit. Theodora Lestrange is a Victorian author who's hoping to make her name with her next novel. She thinks she's found the perfect inspiration when she visits an old school friend in Transylvania, stays in a shadowy castle, and meets the mysterious Count Dragulescu. Of course, shortly thereafter, one of the maids is found dead, and rumors start flying that a vampire is on the loose. The pace is perfect, the setting is a character in and of itself, and the romance between Theodora and the Count is a perfect fit. I did have a small annoyance with the neatness of the ending (not the mystery, which was great, but the relationships between the characters), but that's minor compared to the rest of the story. This really makes me want to reread Jane Eyre or maybe finally tackle Rebecca. Or maybe I'll just watch the movie...

No comments:

Post a Comment