Saturday, May 15, 2010

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, the Graphic Novel/Seth Grahame-Smith, et al

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, the Graphic Novel by Seth Grahame-Smith, adapted by Tony Lee, art by Cliff Richards; graphic novel, horror; 176 pages

I really wanted to like this as much as I liked the original, it just wasn't happening for me. Part of it was the art, which just seemed rushed (and probably was--as of a few months ago, there was still no artist attached to the project). Also, I had a lot of trouble telling characters apart, though that improved later in the story. The adaptation itself was also mediocre: part of the charm of both the original P&P and PPZ is the narrator's crisp-yet-snarky lines, combined with Lizzie's dialogue. Here, much of that is pared away (we lose the narrator entirely), and the scene shifts are so sudden that it gives the book a very choppy feel. To be fair, I wasn't feeling well when I read this, so I may have let that color my view of the book. Still, I think I was hoping for a lot more.

No comments:

Post a Comment