Thursday, June 6, 2013

The Death of Bees

Death of Bees by Lisa O'Donnell 311 pgs.

Marnie and Nelly are sisters who end up orphans very early in this book.  Each thinks the other killed their father and shortly after, their mother hangs herself.  They deal with this by burying both in the back yard. Hate to say it, they are probably better off without them.  These are not "parent of the year" award material.  Luckily they have a lonely neighbor who is interested in taking care of the girls.  Lennie has problems of his own but doesn't know that his adult neighbors are really so close by, he thinks they are traveling in Turkey and just irresponsible when it comes to their children.  This sounds like a very dark book but it is really quite funny.  The girls are lucky to have people who do care for them, even if their parents were a bit too selfish and addicted.  Thanks to Patrick for the recommendation.

check our catalog

2 comments:

  1. The cover doesn't do it for me and every time I see it I am reminded of that, but if I actually take a moment to read about it (like I did here) the story sounds really good. I guess I just need to get over the cover.


    Arnel Sweizz (Seattle Divorce Lawyer)


    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! The cover is really bad and does not look like something I would typically read. My boss recommended this to me so that is the only reason I picked it up. (I'm a big one for judging books by their covers ;-)

    ReplyDelete