Saturday, March 23, 2013

Ship Breaker

Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi, 326 pages


Nailer is a poor metal scavenger on what used to be the Gulf Coast, when a “city killer” storm hits the coast, bringing with it a crashed luxury ship with a swanky heiress aboard. Nailer must decide between cashing in on his “lucky strike” by selling the heiress out or by protecting her.

Though I know several people who have completely fallen in love with Ship Breaker, I didn't really like this book. I liked the view of what might happen ecologically if we continue consuming as we do now, but that's about it. The plot was a little violent for my taste, there were some very "ick" moments, and the romance element (because how could it be dystopian YA without it???) seemed really forced, as if an editor made Bacigalupi add it in at the last moment. (I can picture the conversation going something like, "Well, you've got a boy and a girl who are friends, and that's just not going to work for me. How about you add a paragraph in here where they kiss?" "But won't the readers notice that there's no build-up to this kiss, that Nailer and Nita function really well as friends, and that there's no need for this?" "Nah! They're just kids! They won't notice a thing!" Boo.) For a "take it or leave it" book, I really wish I'd left this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment