Thursday, March 21, 2013

Crewel

Crewel by Gennifer Albin, 360 pages

Annie did a great job summing up this story here, so I'm not going to rehash what she said. I wasn't quite as taken with it as she was (but then again I'm not the knitter that she is either!). Parts of it seemed really hard to visualize, and unfortunately, those were the parts that were pretty instrumental to the storyline. As Annie mentioned, this book definitely has elements of other sci-fi/dystopian novels, including The Hunger Games and I saw some definite nods toward Matched and even Ender's Game. The strongest points were the misogynistic culture and the handling of some pretty tough subjects, which I thought was both surprising and admirable.

One additional note: I highly recommend the ebook version of this, which includes an interview between Albin and Caragh O'Brien, author of Birthmarked, another female-centric YA dystopian series. It's a great interview, and it's not in the traditional print version of the book.

Oh, and I hate the cover of the book. I know what it's supposed to be, but looks like a perfume ad.

No comments:

Post a Comment