Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Howl's Moving Castle

Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones, 329 pages

I'm a big fan of the Miyazaki anime based on this book, so when Annie suggested that fans of the movie should read this book, I felt I must comply. And I'm glad I did. Jones' story of young Sophie--a hat maker who ends up under a curse from the wretched Witch of the Waste that makes Sophie look and feel like a 90-year old--is a fun magical (both literally and figuratively) story, filled with quirky characters and fantastic inventions. I particularly like the doorway that opens to four different locations, depending on what color is showing on a nearby knob, as well as the seven-league boots, which make the wearer's strides seven-leagues-long. Miyazaki took many liberties with the story when he adapted it (namely, the striking of Sophie's sisters, the wizard Howl's apprentice, and any mention of Wales from the film), but as I read Jones' book, I can't imagine any other way that this convoluted story could have been adapted for the screen. My only complaint is that Jones wraps things up WAY too quickly and neatly. Another 20 or 30 pages would have been great.

No comments:

Post a Comment