Monday, August 13, 2012

Batman & Robin: Batman Reborn/Grant Morrison

Batman & Robin:  Batman Reborn by Grant Morrison, Frank Quietly, and Philip Tan; superheros, graphic novel; 168 pages

Another Batman story set just after Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader.  Bruce Wayne is gone, and this collection shows Dick Grayson's first weeks on the job, paired with the new Robin. 

I liked this volume on the whole:  it's wasn't as crazy as some of Morrison's recent Batman stories have been, and it helps that I like Dick Grayson as a character (that's the adult version of Grayson; I find his Robin a little annoying).  This story mostly concerns Batman and Robin learning to work together again.  The new Batman has to establish a rep for himself in Gotham, and, in a poetic twist, former circus acrobat Grayson finds himself fighting a band of circus-themed criminals with biological weapons.  That's just the first act, though.  The REAL villain here crops up in the second half of the book:  Jason Todd, formerly Robin #2, and now know as the Red Hood.  I have to say I didn't care much for this version of Todd.  He was a little too crazy for me to relate to, and he started to run into stock bad guy territory by the end of the book (that's a real tragedy in a character like Red Hood, who knows all of Batman's tricks and who genuinely wants to do good).  Also, I'm still not a fan of Damian as the new Robin.  I hope that things will even out a little more as the series goes on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment