Monday, August 13, 2012

Batman: Gates of Gotham/Scott Snyder

Batman:  Gates of Gotham by Scott Snyder, Kyle Higgins, and Treavor Mccarthy; graphic novel, steampunk; 144 pages

This is a newer Batman story, set in the world after Batman, Inc., in which Bruce Wayne is no longer the Caped Crusader of Gotham.  As has been predicted for a long time, Dick Grayson has finally taken over as Batman, and while he has a large support network in the form of Red Robin, Black Bat, and (regular) Robin, he still feels like he can't quite live up to his mentor's legacy.  Then a series of bombings destroys several historic Gotham landmarks, and it's up to Dick to catch the culprit before he can do any more damage.  But the bomber's pattern and motive are tied up in Gotham's history, something the Dick knows very little about...

I admit I was a little disappointed when I realized that this wasn't the "real" Batman, but I quickly changed my mind as I read.  The story is told in alternating scenes between turn-of-the-century Gotham and the present-day city, and features figures from the family histories of some of our favorite characters.  The artwork was excellent throughout, and the faintly steampunk element to the whole story kept it interesting.  My only complaint was that it sometime got confusing to have Red Robin and Robin/Damien working together.  This book also contains a one-shot about setting up Batman, Inc. in Paris.  It's a more serious story, focusing on the racism and prejudice of any large city, but it was one of my favorite parts of this book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment