Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Shuri vol. 1

Shuri [vol. 1]: The Search for Black Panther by Nnedi Okorafor, art by Leonardo Romero and Jordie Bellaire, 113 pages

I know this is supposed to be a book review, but indulge me for a minute as I talk about a movie. When Black Panther came out last year, I was grossly unaware of the Wakandan king and protector. But the movie was awesome, and my favorite part was T'Challa's brainy, bold, and funny as hell little sister Shuri. Whatever happened after that movie, I wanted more Shuri!

So imagine my sheer delight when I found out that the brilliant Nnedi Okorafor was writing a Shuri comic! I love Okorafor's Binti trilogy (and I love following her and her cat on Twitter), so I had high hopes for this dream team pairing of an awesome writer and an awesome character. Thankfully, this volume (which collects the first five Shuri issues) lives up to my expectations. Shuri is as brainy as ever, and I loved her interactions with other Marvel characters, particularly the sequence in which she astral-projects into Groot. (Sounds weird, I know, but just go with it.) I will definitely be reading more of this series. It's fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment