Monday, May 6, 2019

A Prince on Paper

A Prince on Paper by Alyssa Cole, 377 pages

I have long said that I'm not a romance reader, but here I am, gobbling up the third book in Cole's Reluctant Royals romance series and wishing there were more. In this installment, we find long-sheltered Nya trying to create a life on her own after her overbearing father has been imprisoned. Meanwhile, Johan, the red-headed step-prince of Liechtenbourg, is having trouble keeping up the roguish international playboy persona he created to protect his younger brother (and heir to the throne) from the glare of the spotlight. And because this is a romance novel, OF COURSE Johan and Nya are thrown together and fall in love, despite their personal misgivings.

I think what keeps me coming back to this series is the complexity of the characters, who deal with real issues in a very real way. They're skeptical, smart, and wary where most normal humans would be. And most of them have a wonderfully nerdy side (Doctor Who references! Princess Bride quotes!), which also levels them up for me. These books are funny, smart, and steamy, and I'd recommend them to anyone, whether they call themselves a romance reader or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment