Saturday, August 24, 2013

The Ocean at the End of the Lane

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman, 181 pages

As a 7-year-old, the nameless narrator of The Ocean at the End of the Lane had an otherworldly experience with the mysterious Hempstock family, an experience filled with monsters, mystical cats, and an ocean that masquerades as a pond. This novella is his memory of those few days, remembered only when he returns to the Hempstocks' farm on a whim.

This is a beautiful short novel. The characters and creatures are three-dimensional and fully realized, though not over-described, which leaves so much of their existence up to the reader's imagination. I love that Gaiman respects his readers enough to let us draw our own conclusions. As I read this, I kept thinking about how I could easily see it being made into a Miyazaki anime feature. Something about it just reminds me of Howl's Moving Castle and Spirited Away. So if you liked those movies, you'll definitely enjoy this book. I loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment