Wednesday, August 21, 2013

An Abundance of Katherines

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green, 227 pages

Colin is a child prodigy who, at 17, is well past his prime. He's still super smart, knows lots of random information (this is my kind of kid!), and anagrams like nobody's business. He's also got an interesting romantic past, having just been dumped by his 19th girlfriend, all of whom have been named Katherine. To help him get over his recent heartbreak, Colin and his best (read: only) friend, Hassan, take off on a meandering road trip through Middle America. While on this rambling trip, Colin decides that the best way to win back Katherine 19 is through proving his genius by way of a mathematical theorem explaining love and relationships.

I love everything I've read by John Green, and this book may be my favorite. I enjoyed his quirky multidimensional characters, and I LOVED all the factoids Colin kept spewing. Hassan is a great sidekick to our protagonist, keeping Colin's brainiac ways in check with the blunt "not interesting" whenever he starts rambling about some obscure scientist (though I disagree with Hassan's determination that Tesla isn't interesting).

I still love John Green, and I can't wait to read more of his books.

No comments:

Post a Comment