Friday, July 19, 2013

The Complete Don Quixote

The Complete Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes; art and adaptation by Rob Davis, 288 pages

What's that you say? You say that I'm the first person to blog about Don Quixote? I would totally celebrate this, except for the fact that this is the pretty Cliffs Notes version graphic novel adaptation.

This version certainly hits the high points of the story, and Davis' cartoony art was great, given the subject matter. I particularly liked his take on Sancho Panza and the truly hideous Aldonza/Dulcinea, as well as the switch in art style and font for the many stories-within-the-story. I could see how the latter, in particular, could get confusing in a text-based version. And I'll admit that it was nice to get the basics of the plot in a few days instead of months of dozing off while reading.

But I do feel like I missed something by not experiencing Cervantes' words as they were written (or translated into English in a more traditional sense...you know what I mean!). Certainly, something must have been cut out to make a 940-page book into less than 300, and I have no idea what it was.

So this is good if you just want the basics, but I wouldn't recommend it as a substitution if you're taking a test or writing a paper on the actual novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment