Monday, July 8, 2013

Sunshine/Robin McKinley

Sunshine by Robin McKinley; horror, fantasy; 405 pages

This is one of my favorite books, and I try to reread it at least once a year.  I'm falling off my game, though, because it seems that the last time I read it was back in 2011!! 

Sunshine is the baker in her family's coffeehouse, and considers herself pretty normal--boring, even.  Until one night when she drives out to her family's old cabin for a few minutes of peace, and gets snatched by vampires.  But they don't kill her, as she expects; they dress her in a long red dress and lock her in a room with another prisoner--also a vampire--to wait for death.  But at the end of the night, Sunshine is still alive, and striking up a conversation with her cellmate.  This book goes in a lot of unexpected directions from there, but I'll add in that the food descriptions alone make this a must read (I blame this book for the three ginormous cinnamon rolls I've eaten over the last few weeks).  McKinley's writing style is meandering at times, and while I love the narrator's chatty tone, it may not be to everyone's taste (I've in fact had several close friends reject this book because they just couldn't get past the narrator's voice).  Stick with it, though, and it's a fun and rewarding read! 

No comments:

Post a Comment