Friday, July 5, 2013

Rabbit, Run / John Updike 264 p.

I once told a lit professor in college that I didn't really 'get' feminist literature - what are all those women so angry about?  As I recall, she answered me politely, but I see now that she should have taken a copy of this book and whacked me over the head with it.

Harry "Rabbit" Angstrom - that's Rabbit as in 'breeds like a ____, as far as I can see - is married, in his mid-twenties, and the father of a little boy with another on the way when he hits a crisis in his marriage and life in general.  The handsome former high school basketball star jumps in his car and sets off on a chaotic and short-lived overnight road trip before returning to his Pennsylvania hometown and moving in with another woman.

I readily acknowledge that the writing here is brilliant, but that's what everyone already thinks, so why belabor that?  Yet I was disturbed by Harry's easy powers of seduction, both over all the women in the book, and over the reader, too - because I must sheepishly admit that I will probably read the remaining Rabbit books, in spite of my opinion that Harry is, if not a sociopath, then a right bastard. 


No comments:

Post a Comment