Tuesday, May 8, 2012

A Bride's Story 1/Kaoru Mori

A Bride's Story, vol. 1 by Kaoru Mori; graphic novel, historical fiction; 192 pages

Many other people have been blogging about this series, so I'll just briefly state the plot:  Twenty year old Amir is sent to wed a husband eight years younger than her.  Over the course of the book, the young couple gets to know one another and begins to fall in love. 

I loved this story for the characters, but also for the unusual setting (central Asia in the 19th century) and attention to detail (check out the dress Amir is wearing on the cover:  the interior art is every bit as elaborate and intricate).  While I'm sure the author glosses over a lot of things, I found myself wanting to live in Karluk's idyllic village.  I've already checked out the next volume, and plan to read it tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment