Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks/E. Lockhart

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart; young adult, realistic fiction; 352 pages (about 7 hours on CD)

When Frankie starts dating the coolest guy in school, she's thrilled--at first.  But it soon becomes clear that Matthew and his friends share a bond that Frankie will never be part of--they're all members of the Loyal Order of the Basset Hounds, and all-male secret society that's existed for half a century.  Frankie longs to be part of this guys-only world, but when she's repeatedly locked out, she takes matters into her own hands.

This was a reread for me (my book club picked it for this month), but it's one that I was happy to revisit.  Frankie is a criminal mastermind, plain and simple, and watching her work is one of the best parts of this book.  Of course, there's a lot of other stuff on feminism and power games, but at its heart, this story is about a young woman coming to realize that the world isn't fair, and that sometime you need to make waves to affect change.  The ending isn't as neat and tidy as a lot of other books, but I would love to check back with Frankie in four years (Frankie:  The College Years!) and see what she's up to.  Highly recommended!  And for those who have read it and are looking for similar fare, I have to suggest the Plain Janes series (okay, it's two books, but whatever) by Cecil Castellucci.  I listened to Frankie on CD, and the narrator does a great job of capturing the characters. 

3 comments:

  1. I loved Frankie. I think on Lockhart's website it says she is not planning a sequel. You should try some of her other stuff too. The Ruby Oliver series is pretty smart, and she even has some adult titles of feminism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestions! I keep meaning to go back and read more of Lockhart's other work, but I haven't so far. Maybe I can make that a summer project...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a pretty good book. I'll have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete