Thursday, May 17, 2012

Firelight/Kristen Callihan

Firelight by Kristen Callihan (Darkest London book 1); paranormal romance; 400 pages

Miranda is sold in marriage to the mysterious Lord Archer, who keeps his face hidden behind a mask. 

At first, I thought this book sounded great:  shades of Beauty and the Beast, mixed with Phantom of the Opera, two of my favorite stories!  But I'm sad to say that the story didn't quite hold up to its predecessors. The plot was okay, but I never really felt any chemistry between the two main characters, or any real depth from the rest of the cast.  The world-building was weak, at best, and the writing was in serious need of another few passes from the editor.  The paranormal elements were pretty disappointing; neither Archer's appearance or Miranda's powers are ever really explained to my satisfaction, and no one seems particularly interested in pursuing them.  I won't be picking up the sequel, which comes out this summer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment