Thursday, May 10, 2012

Unholy Night

Unholy Night by Seth Grahame-Smith, 307 pages

So what if the three wise men who attended the baby Jesus' birth were actually thieving murderers on the lam? That's the premise of this book, though it's a lot more complex than that. The main character is Balthazar, an infamous criminal better known as The Antioch Ghost, and as such, the story is more about his life than that of Jesus, Mary and Joseph. I've got to admit, I kind of like reading books that feature Jesus as a supporting character, and in this one, he's easily the least-developed (though that could be because he's less than two weeks old for all but the epilogue). But I very much enjoyed rooting for an immoral bad guy in a Jesus story.

The characters are well-rounded, and Grahame-Smith did an excellent job weaving this tale. Granted, I haven't read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies or Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, but this wasn't at all what I expected from this author. Perhaps I'll have to check those others out...

No comments:

Post a Comment