Saturday, May 12, 2012

A Bride's Story v. 3/Kaoru Mori

A Bride's Story v. 3, by Kaoru Mori; graphic novel, manga, historical fiction; 208 pages

This volume of the series moves away from Karluk and Amir's village, and instead follows the British ethnographer Mr. Smith as he travels to a new town.  There he meets Talas, a young woman who has been widowed five times (!), and who now lives alone with her mother-in-law, struggling to maintain the family lands. 

I enjoyed this volume for the change in locale and characters, but was a little taken aback at the ending, which is more realistic than happy.  I hope Mori will return to these characters, so that we may have another shot at the ending I would have wanted.  However, since I'm not caught up on this series, it will be another six months or so before I find out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment