Saturday, November 20, 2010

Hetalia vol. 1 / Hidekaz Himaruya

Hetalia: Axis powers. Vol. 1. by Hidekaz Himaruya. 147 p.

The characters in this manga are all anthropomorphic representations of countries--America, who's always eating and thinks he should be in charge; England, who can't stand France; Italy, who's cowardly and obsessed with pasta. Now, I haven't read a lot of manga. I know there are artistic conventions in them that differ from western conventions, and I think I probably failed to understand a lot of them in this book. I didn't have any trouble with the right-to-left panel organization, but a lot of the jokes seemed to be riffing off of cultural jokes that I wasn't recognizing. Also, I had a lot of trouble differentiating the characters, especially when they changed costume. So, basically, this book didn't really work for me, but I think that's my fault.

No comments:

Post a Comment