Tuesday, July 30, 2019

The View from the Cheap Seats

The View from the Cheap Seats: Selected Nonfiction by Neil Gaiman  522 pp.

This is a collection of articles, essays, reviews, book introductions, and columns compiled into one volume. While there is a bit of repetition, it is another look at the work of the prolific novelist whose work crosses genres. (There is an article about genre in the collection.) While most of it is concerned with literature, films, or music, there is some biographical material, and small bits of his personal life, as well as a first hand account of a visit to a Syrian refugee camp. I am surprised at how much I enjoyed this collection. After listening to the audiobook read by Gaiman, I came away thinking that this is a man with whom I could be friends. I'm also going to find some of the books he refers to and read them, beginning with Thurber's The Thirteen Clocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment