Friday, July 26, 2019

The New Girl

The New Girl by Daniel Silva  479 pp.

I swore I was not going to read this the instant it came out because then I would have to wait another year for the next one. I only made it a few days before I just had to read it. This is the 19th book in the series about the now Head of Mossad, Gabriel Allon. The "new girl" of the title is the daughter of the Saudi crown prince, Khalid ben Mohammed -- KBM for short. When his daughter is kidnapped from her exclusive private school in Switzerland the prince, in an unprecedented move, enlists the help of Gabriel Allon to find her. The usual characters from previous books return in this episode including Sara Bancroft, Graham Seymour, Christopher Keller, and the Mossad team of agents that are like family to fans of the series. I won't give any spoilers here but this is one of Silva's best. The introduction tells how Silva started this book over after the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi. The afterward by the author, who once worked for the State Department, is a chilling warning of what changing alliances could do to the disturbing international political climate. Now I wait for the next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment