Saturday, June 16, 2018

Bobby Kennedy: a Raging Spirit

Bobby Kennedy: a Raging Spirit / Chris Matthews, 396 p.

I very much enjoyed this biography, and learned more than I thought I would, although I still don't know where Jimmy Hoffa is buried.  Matthews' writing reads like it's from a teleprompter, which is less disturbing than I would have supposed.  He does a good job of illustrating the arc of Kennedy's development from the law and order enforcer of JFK and dear friend of Joseph McCarthy to the Vietnam War-hating Civil Rights-crusading loose cannon presidential candidate of his last days.  Not exactly hagiography but definitely a friendly portrait.  I'd like to follow up by reading Michael Eric Dyson's What Truth Sounds Like: Robert F. Kennedy, James Baldwin, and Our Unfinished Conversation about Race in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment