Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Dune

Dune by Frank Herbert  883 pp.

This is and probably will always be my favorite science fiction novel. I first read it when I was in college and used to get it out every five years or so to re-read. It has been a much longer time since the last time I read it so this time I opted for the audio version with multiple voiced narration by some of the experts in the trade: Scott Brick, Simon Vance, Orlagh Cassidy, and others. Once again I lost myself in the tale of the desert planet Arrakis, addictive spice, the battle between the ruling royal houses, enormous sand worms, and the religious fervor surrounding the messianic Paul Muad'dib. It seems the 21 hours of listening flew by. Dune is also the source for the mantra that got me through cancer treatment:
"I must not fear.

Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain."

No comments:

Post a Comment