Sunday, December 24, 2017

The Fifth Season by N. K. Jemisin, 498 pages.
The first volume of the Broken Earth series won the 2016 Hugo Award for Best novel, beating out Ann Leckie's excellent Ancillary Mercy. I really like Ann Leckie's books, and I had already profited from my mild anger about Ancillary Sword having lost in 2015 to Cixin Liu's The Three Body Problem. Profited in that I eventually read that book and loved it too. So Jemisin wins in 2016, and then again in 2017, beating Liu's third volume, Death's End. And so then I was annoyed that Jemisin had beaten two of my favorite writers, but since I am old enough and wise enough to know that I'm not all that bright and that my judging Jemisin's books without actually reading them, or knowing much about them (other than they won consecutive Hugos), I went ahead and read The Fifth Season. It was excellent, and now I have finished the whole of the Broken Earth series and have to start blogging about the books themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment