Friday, December 15, 2017

October: the Story of the Russian Revolution

October: the Story of the Russian Revolution / China Mieville, 369 p.

I read this months ago and fear that my memory won't allow me to adequately describe what an excellent read this is.

I was surprised (but perhaps should not have been) that a well-known writer of fiction would tackle the immense body of research and massive complexity inherent in a recounting of the story of 1917.  Mieville's narrative gifts shine in this suspenseful and marvelously concise presentation.  In ten chapters, one for each month leading up to October, the reader learns the key players and events, while the index, annotated bibliography, accompanying photos, and long-list of thumbnail bios support those, like me, who don't bring much prior knowledge to the text.

What I didn't know before reading is a lot:  the important role of the Cossacks as sort-of 'swing voters' in the process, the role (and intriguing personality) of Alexander Kerensky, minister of the Provisional Government, and how deeply intertwined the course of the Revolution was with the events of WWI.  (Yes, that last one should be obvious, but Mieville greatly expanded my understanding.)





No comments:

Post a Comment