Monday, November 7, 2016

Where Am I Now?

Where Am I Now? by Mara Wilson, 259 pages

When she was 5 years old, Mara Wilson was known across the country as the really cute kid in Mrs. Doubtfire and Matilda. But as she grew up, she faded from the public eye, becoming a fairly normal teenager. In Where Am I Now?, Wilson presents a collection of autobiographical essays discussing her life as a child star, her awkward teenage years, her struggles with mental illness, and her adulthood awkwardness. It's an interesting mix of surreal experiences (learning about sex while working on the set of Melrose Place) and relatable situations (who hasn't thought, at one time or another, "is this a date or is this person just asking me to this thing as a friend?"). Wilson's a strong storyteller, and I hope to keep reading more of her stories in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment