Sunday, November 27, 2016

The Girls

The Girls by Emma Cline, 355 pages.
Evie is a semi-lost teen in the waning years of hippiedom, in the late 1960s. Her father has moved on and her mother is mostly interested in her own happiness. Evie is drawn into the orbit of a Manson-like character, Russell, not because of his charisma, but because of what she feels for Suzanne, one of Russell's inner circle. Part of the book is told with Evie looking back from years later, and part of it is told as it was happening then. Evie and all of the characters are well-drawn, and it is an interesting and emotionally rich tale. Or maybe I really need to write this before I forget the whole story. I know that I enjoyed it, that I listened to part of it on audio, and that I enjoyed that too, but honestly I wrote the first part of this a while ago, and the year is almost over so I am going with this as my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment