Wednesday, May 4, 2016

The Fifth House of the Heart

The fifth house of the heart / Ben Tripp, 390 p.

I don't usually read vampire fiction, but I read a review that made this book sound interesting, so I picked it up. The author has come up with an intriguing twist on vampire mythology: vampires become what they eat. So older tales about wolf-like creatures were because vampires tended to use wolves for sustenance during that time period. Now that vampires use humans for their food source, they're very human-like. On the one hand, this gives us really intense, nightmarish scenes, such as a long-trapped vampire who've been eating nothing but spiders escaping...but on the other hand, I never could buy that vampires who'd been eating from humans for years would start collecting art and antiques. Given that I didn't care much for the cruel streak in the primary protagonist, and the fact that I don't enjoy horror for its own sake, and I had to struggle a bit to finish this.

No comments:

Post a Comment