Friday, May 27, 2016

Crisps, Custards, Custards, and Creams / Jean Anderson, 301 pp.

I confess that I kept this book at my house for too long in part because I liked looking at the cover photo.

This is a very comprehensive collection of the title desserts with an English slant, including things such as syllabub and Eton mess.  I may have overindulged recently in Icebox Cakes, which has some overlap with these recipes, so that I was less inspired to cook from this volume.  And Anderson's recipe style is a tad rigid for my fly-by-the-seat-of-my-saucepan technique, with very explicit, slightly over-explained instructions.

However, I had a rather triumphant success here: Rote Grutze, or red berry pudding, which the author translates as 'red glop.'  Deceptively simple, with raspberries, cranberries, cherries and strawberries, and a very easy mock Devonshire cream, but it made a group of people hum with happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment