Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Spark Joy

Spark joy: an illustrated master class on the art of organizing and tidying up / Marie Kondo, 291 p.

Marie Kondo's first book, The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, inspired me a lot, even though I adapted much of her advice rather than adopting it. I made a lot of progress last year, but had kind of stalled out, so I wanted Spark Joy to kickstart me again.

It's not a replacement for the first book, but a continuation of it. It expands on some points--actual diagrams demonstrating her method of folding clothes, for instance--and add some details and advice about using and displaying items you've chosen to keep, rather than storing them and not seeing them. The biggest take-away for me is her emphasis on choosing what to keep rather than what to discard. That perspective shift really clicked with me, and now I'm motivated to continue my tidying journey.

But I'm still not going to thank my socks.

No comments:

Post a Comment