Monday, April 6, 2015

Wonder

Wonder by R.J. Palacio  315 pp.

I listened to the audio version of this excellent book which I plan to use for my kids book club. This is a wonderful story about Auggie Pullman, a boy born with extreme facial deformities who enters middle school for the first time after being homeschooled by his parents. Navigating the sometimes vicious social strata of middle school is hard enough without being called a "freak" and worse by classmates.  Auggie is such a likable character you can't help but root for his success. The book is voiced from varying points of view including Auggie, one of his classmates, Auggie's sister, her boyfriend and others. The audio version uses different readers for the separate narrations. It's a very well done version of an excellent book. Of course, I was listening while driving and the part where Auggie's dog becomes ill had me weeping while at the wheel.   

No comments:

Post a Comment