Saturday, April 4, 2015

The Terrible and Wonderful Reasons Why I Run Long Distances

The Terrible and Wonderful Reasons Why I Run Long Distances by Matthew Inman, 147 pages

Best known for The Oatmeal web comic, Matthew Inman is also a long-distance runner who participates in everything from 5Ks to ultramarathons. This short collection of comics offers an often-hilarious glimpse into Inman's motivations, primarily to avoid reverting to the fat kid that he was prior to taking up running. I loved some of what Inman offered here (his fake ad for a treadmill was nice, as was the sarcastic list of tips for running your first marathon), though he doesn't hold back his opinions when it comes to running on treadmills, eating healthily, or even listening to music while running. Those opinions rankled me a bit. However, this is the second running-centric book I've read recently, and it'd be hard for anything to hold a candle to Haruki Murakami's What I Talk About When I Talk About Running (which Inman mentions in his acknowledgements), so perhaps that's why I couldn't muster quite as much enthusiasm for this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment