Wednesday, April 15, 2015

I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell

I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell by Tucker Max, 200 of 326 pages

I'll be honest: I decided to listen to this audiobook because of the title. Stupid, stupid, stupid me. In this appallingly unappealing book, Max recounts stories of his drunk and disorderly debauchery, including all of the horrible things he and his friends have done to have sex with random women, all of whom are treated as objects. I'm generally a pretty open-minded person, willing to read or listen to whatever, but this one was just too much for me. If even half of Max's stories are half-true... ugh. I can't believe I stuck with this one as long as I did. I guess I was hoping that Max would experience some sort of, I dunno, personal growth or something. Sadly, that's not the case.

Avoid this one like the plague. I mean, unless you're into hearing stories about random drunken sexual encounters, entitled drunk men insulting women just for the fun of it, and explosive diarrhea from a guy that has no remorse. Then go for it.

2 comments:

  1. Molly mentioned that this was apparently popular when it first came out (which would've been before I was working at the library), particularly among the "I don't normally read books, but..." crowd. Sounds pretty horrible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, when I went to search for the cover image, I discovered that it had been a bestseller (ugh) and made into a movie (double ugh) starring the guy who played Logan on Gilmore Girls (triple ugh! though probably well-cast).

      Delete