Thursday, April 30, 2015

Life on Mars: Poems by Tracy K. Smith

Life on Mars: Poems by Tracy K. Smith

Smith's 2011 collection of poems won the Pulitzer Prize. I failed to notice this until I recently saw her memoir, Ordinary Light, hanging around the Library.
There are beautiful poems, (really great poems) like "Sci-Fi," "Ransom," and "Challenger," that explore the world, and the larger universe as we imagine it might be. Smith has a great villanelle (or semi-villanelle, I'm not sure), "Solstice" is another example of the author's greatness as it's ostensibly about JFK airport, but also about terror and the lives we're living. Strikingly, there are more David Bowie references than I expect from prize-winning poetry. I checked out four of Bowie's CDs after reading these, so I could re-acquaint myself with the source material and get more from Smith's excellent poems.
Check our Catalog.

No comments:

Post a Comment