Saturday, November 30, 2013

Blood Bones and Butter

Blood, Bones & Butter:  The inadvertent education of a reluctant chef by Gabrielle Hamilton 291 pgs.

I listened to the audio version of this book which is read by the author.  By the end, I felt like I really KNEW her.  This is a great memoir by a great woman chef whose childhood could be described as "gritty".  Actually it sounds pretty idyllic until her parents get divorced and sort of abandon her and one of her brothers.  The older kids are already on their way.  There are some years of "trouble" including a lot of drug use and thieving as a waitress in New York.  Then comes the cooking and that is all interesting and made me want to be adventurous and try new foods.  I still, however, do not want to try butchering anything.

Wonderfully written with a great sense of humor, this book affirms the huge amount of work and LABOR that is necessary to run a restaurant.

check our catalog

No comments:

Post a Comment