Thursday, April 11, 2013

Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life

Scott Pilgrim. Vol. 1, Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life by Bryan Lee O'Malley, 168 pages

Scott Pilgrim is 23, he's in a band, he shares a one-room apartment (and the sole bed in said apartment) with his gay roommate, and he's kinda-sorta dating a high schooler named Knives Chau. However, he's also been having these dreams about a roller-blading delivery girl with a distinctive haircut. And what do you know, she's real! Once he meets the object of his obsession, he's determined to date her, despite his sorta-relationship with Knives.

This was a super short graphic novel, and I thought it was pretty good until the end. At that point, it started getting less real and more video-gamey, with no build-up to this admittedly interesting turn of events. I saw the movie based on the Scott Pilgrim series, and although it pains me to say it, I liked the movie better (scandalous, I know). I thought it did a better job of setting up the video game element, though that could be because it encompassed the whole series rather than just this first volume, which amounts to a tiny portion of the movie. But as to the book, I liked the artwork, I liked the names (Knives Chau! Ramona Flowers! Stephen Stills!), I liked the snark. But I don't know that I'll keep following this Pilgrim's progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment