Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Small Gods/Terry Pratchett

Small Gods: A Novel of Discworld; Terry Pratchett, SF, 344 pages

So I've known about Discworld for a while, but there are just so many books in this series and so many different plotlines that it all seemed way too intimidating for me to get into. And then! One fateful day I ran across a very helpful guide online (no idea where the link is now, but if I find it again I'll edit this post to include it) describing different avenues for newbies to start reading with, which is just what I needed!
I chose Small Gods because, according to this guide, it has basically nothing to do with the rest of Discworld, plot-wise, but in terms of tone and satire it's a great example of Pratchett's style.

And of course I fell in love with said style! I feel like this book was written just for me. Excellent exploration of all the silly intricacies and problems that spring up in any religion, the inherent humor of really militant athiests, and ANCIENT STATUARY JOKES.

I think it might take a particular type of person to be highly amused by ancient statuary jokes, but luckily I am that type of person, so this whole book was a treat.
I highly recommend it if you ever took Latin.

I think my next foray into Discworld will be Guards! Guards! to embark on the stories of the City Watch. I've heard those are good. :)

1 comment:

  1. One of us! One of us!

    The Watch books are my faves. Small Gods is an excellent starting place for Discworld newbies.

    ReplyDelete