Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The Dirty Life on farming food and love by Kristin Kimball 276 pages

My grandparents were farm people. After a bad period when they had to put all their cattle down, they came to St Louis and worked as janitorial staff at a  hospital until they earned enough to go back and resume farming. Years later my grandmother told my mother that the St Louis years were her "easiest years". My mother, a Chicago gal, warned my dad that she would never agree to leaving city life for the farm. And now my daughter has bees and an amazing garden, yearns to have her own chickens...and I wonder what my grandmother would think. So, that is why I picked up this book. It is the journal, so to speak, of a journalist, a thirty-something single journalist, who leaves New York City and becomes a farmer. She and her future husband set up a CSI - (they raise produce for families that buy an annual stake in their farm).It is hard work, but she finds a life that she loves and a partner to share a vision.I am not packing up and moving, but I am glad that there are people out there making the commitment to grow organic / local food.

No comments:

Post a Comment