Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Emma, v. 7/Kaoru Mori

Emma, v. 7, by Kaoru Mori; manga, historical fiction, romance; 280 pages
 This book claims to be the conclusion to Emma and William's story--which is very confusing, as there are another three volumes after this one!  Things do come to some sort of conclusion here, with Emma accepting William's proposal, and leaving service to the German family she's come to love.  However, this volume is where the story started to fall apart for me.  William and Hakim pursue a kidnapped Emma to what I assume is meant to be America, even though most of the people there speak with an English accent, and the trip seems to take a very, very short time (both there and back).  Maybe it's just a seaside village in England?  I couldn't really tell.  It's sheer coincidence that reunites William and Emma--what are the odds of finding each other in a distant country, without even knowing where one party is???  When Emma returns home, she leaves service, but asks her former mistress to educate her in the ways of a lady--which she does (another thing I had trouble believing.  Then again, Emma's employer is often portrayed as bored and fabulously wealthy, so maybe she has the time and resources to undertake something like this.  I just had trouble believing shy, proper Emma would ask it of her!).  I'm going to keep reading, because I've grown very attached to these characters.  It looks like the next few volumes focus on supporting cast, so I'll be interested to see what Mori does with them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment