Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Running the books

Running the books: the adventures of an accidental prison librarian by Avi Steinberg 404 pgs.

I'm sure to no surprise, I'm a sucker for librarian books and this one delivered for me. First, I was totally taken by the cover...a portrait made up of due date stamps. Early on we learn that Avi might be a bit confused about his future and unsure of how he should proceed. He kind of falls into a prison librarian job. Although he is seriously out of his element working there, he quickly becomes interested in helping his patrons and in some of their situations. In addition to the library job, he teaches creative writing classes. Even though he is highly educated and Jewish, he sees the many ways he is like his co-workers and patrons. I think he does a good job teaching and also a good job learning. This book is really more about his own self discovery than his accomplishments. - Christa

No comments:

Post a Comment