Saturday, December 11, 2010

A High Wind in Jamaica by Richard Hughes

A High Wind in Jamaica by Richard Hughes, 299 pages, literary fiction.
Early on we made the rule that you cannot count having read a book in this competition unless you blogged about it. I regret agreeing to that ruling now that it is mid-December and I am some fifty books behind in my blogging. Even if I had blogged regularly, I would still be in about fourth or fifth place, at least in total books. I think I might be in better shape for total pages, page average and sheer charisma. We will see. A High Wind in Jamaica is Hughes's 1929 novel of children, the high seas, and semi-competent, semi-committed pirates. When a hurricane devastates their Jamaican home, the Bas-Thorton and Fernandez families send their children back to the safety of England. The ship they are on is set upon by pirates at the beginning of the voyage and the children are accidentally taken captive. The adjustments made by the children and the pirates run the range from comic to disturbing.

Check our Catalog.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe a better rule would be to give you credit for every book you check out...even if you don't have time to read it, your intentions were surely good.

    ReplyDelete