Friday, December 31, 2010

The Man of Bronze / Kenneth Robeson


The Man of Bronze by Kenneth Robeson (Doc Savage #1, March 1933). 135 p.

So my last post of the year will set up a project I'm beginning that will continue through next year and beyond: I intend to read all of the Doc Savage novels, in publication order, one per week. (The last time I tried to read all of them, I failed, but it's been about 15 years.) I'm reading the Bantam books reprints of the novels, which first appeared in Doc Savage Magazine in the 1930s and 1940s, so my page counts are taken from the reprints.

The Man of Bronze is of course one of Doc Savage's nicknames--his real name is Clark Savage Jr. His father raised him from birth to be a man who would use his extraordinary physical and intellectual talents to better mankind. In this first book, Doc's father has died under mysterious circumstances, so he gathers together five friends that he made during the Great War--all tops in their particular fields, all eager for adventure--and they go off to find out who is responsible. Not only do they do so (of course), they end up with a practically inexhaustible source of wealth, which will come in handy for fighting evil.

No comments:

Post a Comment