Monday, December 20, 2010

Spooner

Spooner/Pete Dexter 469 pg.

Patrick and Tim kept talking about this book but I had so many others on my list it took me awhile to get to this one. I'm certainly glad I did...this is an excellent book, wonderfully written with characters I really like. Spooner's stepdad Calmer is the kind of person I would like to be...industrious, smart, fair, nonjudgmental and hopeful. Geez, if I could do better on even one of those traits it would be a positive move. Even as Spooner gets into more bizarre situations and trouble, Calmer is always there for him and never questions or lectures. Spooner goes through a "loser" period but then sort of gets his act together. In one of my favorite parts, the Spooner and his brothers are thinking about how to get back at someone who was mean to Calmer. The plan was for Spooner to throw eggs at the house to lure the neighbor over and then his brother Darrow was to make him feel academically inadequate. Oh boy, that is a plan good enough to make me laugh out loud. - Christa

No comments:

Post a Comment