Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Terrible Axe-Man of New Orleans/Rick Geary

The Terrible Axe-Man of New Orleans (A Treasury of XXth Century Murder), by Rick Geary; graphic novel, true crime; 80 pages

Geary's Treasury of Victorian Murder series is a gem, so I was really looking forward to his latest offering in this new collection. The murder here is once again an unsolved mystery: a series of attacks in New Orleans in 1918 and 1919. While Geary's narration and art are both wonderful, I this graphic novel felt a little less finished (and much shorter!) than previous entries. Part of that may be that this is a less famous killer (I had never heard of him before this book), and so there's less information available. Still, I missed the theories and reconstructions that were present in the Jack the Ripper and Lizzie Borden books. On an editorial note, this book also seems to have more typos than any previous volume, so maybe there was a publishing mix-up that affected the quality of the book? It's still an interesting story, and I felt like I learned something.

No comments:

Post a Comment