Monday, September 6, 2010

I Am What I Am / John Barrowman

I Am What I Am by John Barrowman with Carole E. Barrowman. 256 p.

The second autobiography of this actor. Since he's only 42, this one isn't a linear continuation of life events, but rather discussion of specific shows he's done and various other topics. There are also numerous anecdotes about his birth family, to whom he's quite close (his co-author is his sister), and his husband. He's a high-profile gay actor in Great Britain and feels some responsibility to be somewhat public about his marriage because there aren't nearly as many role models for successful gay relationships as there are for straight ones. This is a pretty light & fluffy read--like many actors, Barrowman is rather self-absorbed, but he's good-natured and sincere, and his family seems to provide endless comical anecdotes. BTW, this is the man whose picture is on my computer desktop.

No comments:

Post a Comment