Saturday, September 25, 2010

Lord of the White Hell, book 1/Ginn Hale

Lord of the White Hell, book 1, by Ginn Hale; dark fantasy; 362 pages

I loved Hale's first book, Wicked Gentlemen, but while I read this quickly, I was a little disappointed. It's clear that Hale hasn't written anything of this length before, and I felt like the editor should have been able to clean up some of the more awkward phrases, or help establish the world in which this story is set. The setting was only vaguely sketched out, and the map at the beginning of the book was no help in differentiating a country from a city. There's a lot of potential here (steampunk-y hints throughout, madness, curses, forbidden love, etc.), and I hope that some of it will be more thoroughly developed in the second installment.

No comments:

Post a Comment