Monday, September 20, 2010

Deep Secret / Diana Wynne Jones

Deep Secret by Diana Wynne Jones. 383 p.

Rupert Venables is a computer programmer in his regular life. But he's also a Magid, a powerful magician with responsibilities to some of Earth's parallel worlds. He becomes embroiled in the succession question of an empire on a world he is responsible for--the Emperor is assassinated, along with much of his court, and all of his heirs have been hidden away. He also has to find the next candidate for Magid training on Earth, because his mentor Stan has just died. Of course, these two problems end up entertwined, and Rupert's not having much fun. The plot resolves satisfactorily, although I didn't buy the romance at the end--much of the book is told from Rupert's perspective, and the sudden appearance of "feelings" didn't work for me at all.

I've always heard that Diana Wynne Jones was a really good fantasy writer, so I wanted to try one of her books. I wasn't bowled over or anything. so I'm not running out to look for another of her books, but I'd certainly read another if it was recommended to me.

1 comment:

  1. Deep Secret is good (it was my introduction to DWJ, too), but Howl's Moving Castle is far better. This is me strongly recommending it.

    ReplyDelete